Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kampfer Part4: Main Engine

The engine is pretty much at the heart of my conversion. Previously, was thinking about using the lower part of a Zaku leg to house the engine, but I ultimately decided against it. Instead, I have decided to see what I can do with some parts that I had laying around. I am a notorious hoarder and at the same time I never want to parts because I am afraid I will find a better use for them. I am trying to break myself of the fear, so I dipped into a Tamyiya set that I have had laying around.

First, I had to prep the body for some of the parts that I wanted to use. I cut off the two side engine mounts with my hobby saw. The areas that I cut are highlight in red in the pictures below. After the rough cuts were made, I smoothed them out with a file and sandpaper.








After the main body was prepped, I started adding bits to see if I could make the Kampfer look how I imagined. Overall, I think that I am on to something and will fill in more detail as I go on. For now here are some pics of what I came up with.






All the engine parts are from the Tamiya kit bellow except for the main nozzle that I made back in part2 of this build. This kit has a lot of little engine parts like hoses and filters and what not that I plan to use to make the engine compartment look as "realistic" as possible.



Here are some wide shots of the Kampfer with two of the fuel tanks installed so that I could see how the composition was coming along. I really like how its coming along and look forward to hammering out the details.




The main engine

No comments:

Post a Comment